Monday 6 June 2011

30 Songs.1 - I'm Spinning

So it's been  a while. I've been thinking about this blogging business for a while, how to start, what to talk about. Having the two little Bees I mentioned before and trying to keep afloat has left me with little time, so I decided to take a leaf out of Lunch Hour Waffle's book and do this 30 days business that's doing the rounds to get me started. 

The first song is Your Favourite Song. As someone with a pretty large collection of CDs and a great lover of music this one was a hard one to pick. It would be all too easy to go with a song I could listen to endlessly at the moment, only to be replaced with something else in a few weeks (Ceelo Green) or one of those classics which you kind of forget about until you hear it again (Sinead O'Connor, The Kinks). I could choose an old favourite which comes in and out of favour, one of those songs I love but could easily flick past on my iPod (Terrorvision) but instead I've decided to go with a track which swallows me up every time I hear it. 

I was aware of this band before I met my husband but would never have called myself a fan. I still wouldn't I don't think, even though on paper everything works. Big guitars? Check. Clever lyrics? Check. Good Live? Check. In fact, I would go as far as to say they are one of the best bands I have seen live. Somehow I've never made it into fan territory though. Bizarre, I know. The first time I saw them I was told I was unlikely to hear this track since they don't play it often - luckily for me they have played it each time I have seen them. I can't help but listen to this song intently whenever it is on and I would never skip past it. It reaches in to your soul somehow and fills you from the toes up. If you don't know this song, I urge you to listen to it. Even if it doesn't offer you what it offers me, at least I know I've shared it with you.



1 comment:

  1. And to think you almost missed this in Barcelona!

    Can't argue with the song choice, although a quick look at the web site reveals that it's their third most played song so whoever told you they don't often play it was talking nonsense! Although in my... er, I mean that person's... defence, it's an oldie so you'd expect it to be near the top.

    Having said that, a quick tally shows that that it's been played at less than half of their shows from 2008 onwards (didn't count any further back) so maybe I... er your source... wasn't too far off the mark after all!

    ReplyDelete