Wednesday 8 June 2011

30 Songs.2 - tsss tsss tsss tsss

My least favourite song? Easier than you'd think really. I mean, there are plenty of songs which don't do a lot for me or would rather not listen to... but only one which makes my ears bleed. Only one which makes me actually change the radio station or music channel (actually that's not true, I am a serial music channel hopper...but the radio station bit is true.) Just talking about this song makes me a little uncomfortable to be honest. It has that unfortunate dance beat which seems to hit a part of my eardrum untouched by any other genre.

Tsss Tsss Tsss Tsss.

Like that, see? And it's not that I don't like a good bit of dance music these days... my teenage indie self would be horrified at some of the stuff I listen to these days, since now I tend not to comform to what I think I ought to listen to and actually listen to what I like, and that covers a wide spectrum. In terms of dance music, what I like is clever dance music. I like interesting samples, catchy lyrics and something you can actually dance to (if you want). I like Chase and Status and the Prodigy. The only thing this song has going for it (and I'm clutching at straws here) is the video, which got people talking because it consists of nothing more than some leotarded up chicks stretching  (sorry, "doing aerobics").

I'd be perfectly happy to never hear this song again. Ever. I rather suspect I am on my own, or at least in a minority. Sadly, (for me anyway) radio DJs the country over seem to like it. It was number 1 in the UK for 6 weeks in 2004, and hit the number 1 spot in various other countries too. Either way, I have a feeling I'm destined to be sitting at some wedding or party in 20 years or so explaining to my kids why I don't like Call On Me by Eric Prydz.

No comments:

Post a Comment